That was one of the themes at services Sunday at Avondale United Methodist Church.
The day marked the final Sunday where the Rev. Gary Ponder Williams served as pastor of AUMC. Both the services and the reception afterwards were poignant memories of his time at Avondale, and best wishes as he heads to his next assignment: Lawson United Methodist Church.
With all the activities, I have decided to take a few days to publish and chronicle the celebrations — which themselves are a chronicle of 9 years of faithful service and collaboration with the congregation of AUMC.
My family came to AUMC when Rev Ponder Williams was already pastor. To us all our memories of the church include him.
So here is the plan:
1) Service music. The selections chosen for the day were both poignant and worshipful.
2) Children’s Time. Always a classic feature of the service, Ponder Williams used the time in a unique way to “turn the page” from himself to the new pastor.
3) Sermon. I’ll let Ponder Williams speak for himself.
4) Presentations. The congregation expresses their appreciation and good wishes during a dinner reception in his honor.
5) Pastor’s Time. Bonnie House turns the table and reads a book back to Ponder Williams.
6) Parting Words.